Saint Louis University’s English Writing Center is located on the first floor of Padre Rubio Hall. The goal of the writing center is to continue the work of the core writing program in providing students with tools to meet challenges in writing assignments throughout their university careers.
Bring with you to the center any assignment specifications from your professor and a rubric, if there is one. You must also bring a hard copy of your work (or a soft copy on your laptop) and be prepared to work together with the consultant on making your writing more effective for your audience and purpose.
Appointments are limited to 20 minutes per visit; if you need more time, you are welcome to return to work on the same assignment when no other students are waiting or by scheduling an appointment.
Students can either:
- Make an appointment
- Visit the center directly during opening time
Spring 2019 Schedule
- Monday: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Tuesday: 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.; 12:20 p.m. to 2:20 p.m.; and 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday: 11a.m. to 12 p.m.; 12:20 p.m. to 2:20 p.m.; and 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Friday: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Online Resources for Writing and Research
- Harvard University Writing Center
- William Strunk Jr. The Elements of Style (1918)
- Writing Essays in Art History
- Business Writing: An Introduction (Colorado State University)
- A Brief Guide to Writing a History Paper
- Writing Historical Essays: A Guide for Undergraduates
- A Brief Guide to Writing an English Paper
- Norton Online Guide to Writing about Literature
- Writing in Literature
- A Brief Guide to Writing a Philosophy Paper
- Writing for Psychology: A Guide for Psychology Concentrators
- Writing the Literature Review (The University of Vermont)
- Writing in Engineering (Penn State)
- Guidelines for Writing a Lab Report (MIT)